CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Trials and Tribulations

I am absolutely beside myself right now. I decided to write about this in a public forum because I figured I could use the help and the advice.

This kid of mine has been so rotten lately. I mean, downright defiant. She simply does not give a fuck. I mean, there are some things that she has never really given a fuck about, such as her behavior and performance in school. But now she doesn't give a fuck about anyone or anything, and she doesn't care who she pisses off. This is what's beeng going on.

This kid has had the same chores for four years or more. They never change and are always the same. Every once in a while, I'll ask her to do a little something else and she will drag it on and procrastinate until I just do it myself, which is her goal in the first place. Her chores are to scoop out the kitty litter boxes (we have two) every day or at least every other day, take out the kitchen trash when it's full, take the two trash cans out to the road, and keep her bathroom clean. That's it. Oh, and take care of her dog, which she does just barely. While I was in Florida, she got into a huge fight with my dad because he accused her of not taking care of Riley properly. While he was overreacting a little bit, there was some truth to his accusations.

The day before yesterday, Alexa brought home a detention slip for me to sign. She was given detention due to being disrespectful (blantantly) to a teacher. We talked about it and I signed the slip, which she "forgot" to take to school. The disciplinary officer, Opal, called me to confirm that I knew Alexa had detention and we spoke on the phone for about ten minutes while she explained to me that the group of girls that Alexa is hanging out with is constantly in trouble and that she doesn't know what happened to my once somewhat well behaved child. I explained to Opal that although there is no excuse for rude and insubordinate behavior, that there had been a lot of changes in our home in the last few months and that Alexa is probably having some trouble adjusting. After we hung up, I decided it was probably time to call the insurance company and see what kind of therapy is covered under her current plan. (Her father now provides her insurance. YAY! No more Medicaid.) It's time to nip this thing in the bud.

A few hours later, I get a phone call from Opal, who proceeds to tell me that I need to come up to the school for a conference with her and Alexa, because evidently Alexa became rude and disresepectful in detention and was kicked out. I flew up to the school where I had an hour and a half long conference with Opal and Alexa. I won't get into any details just because it would take too long, but what we did was basically confront her about what might be bothering her. She said she was tired of the school and the snobs there, etc, but what I really think is that our home life is affecting her this way. I explained to Opal that I am in the process of divorcing, and that I have a new relationship that is not always stable and that Alexa had been exposed to it too much. (Honestly, this is where I think her disrespectful mouth comes from.) She, too, thought it might be a good idea to get us into some kind of family therapy. I explained that I haven't been around a lot and that my focus hasn't been on her and I. I wanted everyone to know that I do understand where this stuff is coming from. It doesn't make it any less stressful, though.

Last night, I went and took the last few dollars I had and instead of buying fast food or wasting it on something stupid, I went to the grocery store (with Alexa) and bought stuff to make a huge spaghetti dinner. We came home, cleaned a little bit together, and cooked together. We all sat down at the table and ate together like a family, like we used to, and she happily chattered on and on about school. Alexa is a really neat kid and I love her personality, I just can't stand her disrespectful mouth. I made sure I told her this, just not in so many words. She cleared the table without me asking her to, which was nice. I think that was therapy in itself, me being home and spending time with her. Usually she is busy with friends or when I ask her if she wants to go places with me she says no. So I don't want people to think I'm leaving her at home all the time and abandoning her; she doesn't want to go half the time. Yesterday we hung out all day and it was nice.

This morning is trash day. I was awake a little after eight when Alexa brought Riley into my room. I told her to have a good day and then I got up and picked up the kitchen a bit. I noticed that the kitchen trash was full, and I got a sneaking suspicion that the trash had not been taken out to the road. I looked out the front door and sure enough, there it was...by the porch. I sighed and did it myself, but now I'm pissed. It makes no sense. When I was in Florida, she did not do ONE of her chores, not ONE. So imagine the smell when I walked in the door...two full kitty litter boxes that had not been cleaned or changed for a week and a half or more. Kristi and Mike's room really reeked like kitty litter since once of the boxes is right by their door. Supremely pissed off, I picked up the kitty litter box that was right next to their room and put it in HER small room and closed the door. (She was sleeping at Grandpa's that night.) It stayed in there until almost 4PM the next day when she got home from school, and I know it didn't smell pleasant. I explained to her that that's how Kristi and Mike had to live, so, since she was too lazy to clean them out, that she could sit there and smell it instead. She didn't like that too much....but she cleaned them out. After much arguing and stalling. Then, last night, when I explained to Kristi what I did, she told me that while I was gone she asked Alexa to clean out the kitty litter boxes so that the house would be clean when I got home and Alexa's response was, "No. It's not my job." Kristi said, "Well, then, are you not going to do it, then?" Alexa said, "No, I'm not." Kristi said, "Well, I'll make sure I tell your mother you said that, then." Can you believe this shit? Not her JOB? WHAT?

So I don't know what to do. Grounding her doesn't work, because she is really sneaky and I don't have the energy to watch her every fucking move. Beating her doesn't work, just because I don't like to hit. (Although lately I've thought about giving her a good slap right in the fucking mouth, but the problem is that she knows it's coming and can outrun me). I don't know what to do. I want to take responsibility for my part of it, but she needs to take responsibility also. I don't know how to make her do that. She doesn't do anything I ask her to do anymore and everything I say turns into a fucking five hour screaming match....very similar to my relationship with Bryan. Anyone else see a pattern here?

I am so frustrated. Short of boot camp or shipping her off to live with her father I have run out of ideas. Boot camp would be great, I think, along with some therapy. Anyone have any ideas? I have already made it a resolution to be home more, and to include her in things whether she likes it or not. I came to this conclusion while I was in Florida. I want to see if anything improves as our home life slowly stabilizes, but I don't want to wait too long. So if there are any suggestions out there I would like to hear them.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

For Starters, handcuff yourself to her and go to school with her for a few days. That will take care of the attitude issues in class because she will have NO CHOICE but to do what she has to do. Stick to her like glue. She is screaming for some of your attention here.

No friends, no tv, no cd's or mp3's... none of it until further improvements take place.

If you send her to live with her cradle-robbing, child-molesting piece of shit dad, I will never speak to you again.

Be home every night. Have dinner together. Talk to her about her day. Make her feel like she is important. Stay home every night because believe it or not, your not being home tells her that you don't give a fuck about her, so why should she give a fuck about anything? You don't care, so why should she? You act that way with Bryan, why can't she?

It was only a matter of time before this started to happen. Counseling is a great idea. STick with it. TOGETHER.

Anonymous said...

Have to say I agree fully with your cousin on this on Sondra.....

Anonymous said...

OK, first of all, Counseling is a MUST! Are you kidding me? I can't believe that you haven't done that yet.

Also, you can't expect that one dinner is going to changer her attitude. The poor girl need consistency! She doen't know from one day to the next where she is going to sleep! If you can't devote your attention to her then put her someplace where SOMEONE is!

Andy is right, if you don't spend any time with her then she will think that you don't give a shit. And her saying that she doesn't want to go is her fishing for you to make her go. That will re-assure her that you want to be with her.

Also, her watchin how you and Brian interact with each other is ONLY teaching her how to inter-act with others. How do you expect her to behave? She will do what she sees. And when you get into your stubborn 5 hour screaming matches with her, that is encouraging her to HAVE those screaming matches with you. Have you ever heard the phrase "bad attention is better than NO attention"? Think about it. It is so true!

If you don't take drastic measures now to get her the help that she needs, she will act out in extreme ways.

Also, on a side note....So, your friends are living in your house (which is another example of instability for her) and if they are living there and the fucking kitty litter box was stinky, then why the hell didn't one of them get off of their lazy asses and cleaned the damned thing? ARe you kidding me? They would rather live in filth than change the kitty box? I would not have people that inconsiderate living in MY house!!

I hope that you don't take offense to any of this. If I didn't care, then I would say nothing! Your OTHER cousin...Ang

Anonymous said...

I was worked up when I wrote that. Sorry about my type-os. oopsie, I am really not illiterate!

MissJester said...

LOL, Angie, I know...I love you, too.

Anonymous said...

Let me get right to the point,GET OFF YOUR ASS AND MOVE!!!Dump the deadweight sucking the life out of you,grab your kid and go!!!!.If your kid is hanging around bad kids and your doing nothing about it then WTF is Alexa gonna do but go with the flow and act out by being a pain in the ass.Kids live and learn by what they see and if she is acting like she doesnt give a fuck about anything then do something about it!! She is crying out for any response just to be heard.I understand you are helping your friends out but damn,if they are gonna live there shouldnt they be helping out too??I wish you would get the helll out of dodge with your kid,move to the sunshine state and get your shit back together so your kid has a mom she can look up too instead of watching her mom be a bundle of sadness with people walking all over her.Stay home with her instead of running all over town following your boyfriend and I am happy to read you have givin up the partytime substances because trust me,your kid knows what the hells going on!!!I have lived your life and yes,I too have a teenager.If I hadent moved across country to clean up and get our lives on track I shudder to think how my kid would have turned out.He did the same thing your kid was doing and I saw that i had to become someone he could look up to because I was ready to ship him off because he was being an "asshole" and it was just getting worse.He and I had a talk awhile back about how he used to act and how he didnt give a shit and was an all around punk and he said the reason he was that way is because I was too busy with all my drama and he saw I was being worthless and letting people walk all over me so he could too!!!Get it together,make her your number #1,fix your life and hers by removing all the deadweight and things will work out.I want to see you happy but you have to make the first move.PS,I still want to smack my kids mouth sometimes but I do it in my head whaen he is surly because hitting is wrong and yelling doesnt work,just tell him that you will stand by your word and Alexa will have to buckle down or she will have all her stuff stripped and she will live a very boring life without the conforts she has and STICK TO IT!!!She will turn around if you stick to the grounding and taking away of stuff